Every designer as a weak spot. Granted, I am not really a professional, I didn’t go to school for or get a degree in interior design. But still, I love design. The room I am definitely the weakest in is the Master Bedroom. I don’t really know why, but it is always the room that seems to come together the slowest for me. I struggle with making it cohesive. Add to the struggle I am working with furniture that we had in our last house that I
- Don’t necessarily love, but it is functional
- Worked in our last home, but is there because we don’t have another spot for it in our new home. So it ended up in the Master Bedroom.
This morning after I got my hoard of kids off to school I checked the mail. The Design Within Reach catalog was in my mailbox, just begging to be perused through, bookmarked, and eventually recycled because I can’t justify their prices. This time it was different. I saw a beautiful spread that loved that I could recreate on a budget AND help me with my weak link.
It is gorgeous, right? Warm woods, with white-ish walls and contrasting drapes. I can work with this. Now this is the current situation.
The breakdown: This Crate and Barrel Petrie sofa is the first ‘big girl’ piece of furniture I ever bought. Six years ago I saved, used a coupon and waited till September when they have their annual upholstery sale. I still love this couch. It had it’s own special place in our last home. In this home, it is shoved into the master and I am sad about it. However, if you have small children that like to come into your room at night, you need a couch. The kids know that they sleep on the couch. Kids are not allowed in our bed. Damon and I need uninterrupted sleep or we ain’t happy the next day. I am loosing focus. Sorry. The headboard is a Craig’s List score, the desk is from Ikea. One day I won’t have desk in here, but it is sure nice when I need to get things done for school and can lock myself a way. The eyeball sconces are from Urban Outfitters and a total score.
It is a real hodge podge.
The fireplace is it’s own special case. I am mulling ideas, but holy crap can we all agree that it is just kinda weird? These dressers are West Elm beauties. Again, our last master bedroom was ridiculously huge, so two worked there. Not sure about here.
- Paint the Walls. I am thinking Chantilly Lace white. The baseboards are already done, the kids and I did those before we put in carpet.
- Black/ dark gray drapes. I make my own drapes. I think I need to do a tutorial about that. You can save so much money making your own drapes. The dark drapes will hopefully make it easier to tie in the dark sofa.
- Figure out the bedding situation. Currently we have awesome Parachute Home linen duvet and sheets- but don’t have a duvet insert because Arizona. Arizona is so hot right now.
- Replace the ceiling fan. I know that a cool lighting fixture would be amazing. Again, Arizona. Notice we have a giant fan on the desk AND a ceiling fan. Arizona is so hot right now.
I am excited to make this happen. I think all parents deserve a sanctuary. Now lets all appreciate the new carpet we had installed in July.